Nice post over at the Art of Manliness on Getting the Respect You Deserve at Work.
We spend a good part of our lives at our place of work. You would think we would want that time to be harmonious. As an Executive, it is amazing that amount of time I have spent refereeing the squabbles between employees, workgroups and customers that goes back to a perceived lack of respect. People crave respect and the amount we receive is very reflective of the amount we show others. Here is a list of the items talked about in the article:
- Don’t care so much. Seriously.
- Never miss a deadline. Ever.
- Never be late to an appointment. Ever.
- Don’t gossip. Especially over email.
- Don’t waste anyone’s time, but sometimes allow your superiors to waste yours.
- Treat those “underneath” you well.
- Dress like you’re going to ask for a raise. Every day.
- Know when to shut up, especially when you’re in a group.
- Keep your workspace clean.
- Don’t ever get drunk at a work gathering. Ever.
- Sing when it’s someone’s birthday. With gusto.
Check it out. I recommend it.